GOOGLE EARTH ASSIGNMENT ON
The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano
College Composition II, WISE:
Assignment: Google Earth Assignment.
Audiences: Your WISE class.
- To investigate the geography behind The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano.
- To create a keepsake and record of your first impressions of the connection between the geography and the history.
- To practice placemarker, pathmaking, writing and journey-tracking skills for later assignments in English and history.
- While reading The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, keep notes of where he travels on his journey from the start of his life until the end of Chapter III.
- Open Google Earth, and locate the “fly to” information bar in the top left corner.
- Enter the names of some of the locations Olaudah Equiano travels to, and place a marker at the locations you find. The spelling and names of locations he encountered during his journey may have changed over the years. You may need to do some research to discover the current spellings and names.
- On Google Maps, mark the locations of Olaudah Equiano’s journey with at least:
- two places in Africa,
- one place in the Caribbean,
- three places in England and/or Europe,
- one place in America,
- one place in the Canary Islands, and
- two places in Canada.
You should have marked a total of at least ten places. Take time to read some links about the places as you mark them.
- Make a path between the places you marked, showing, roughly, where Olaudah Equiano travelled.
- Write a 500-600 word account about Olaudah Equiano’s journey.
Please attach your map of Olaudah Equiano’s journey to the paper. Also insert any images and hyperlinks to the paper where appropriate. Remember to keep track of any sources you use so that you can cite them appropriately.
- Submit a rough draft of the assignment for peer review.
- Revise your draft to submit for grading.
- After receiving your grade and making changes where indicated by your instructor, publish the final version to your WordPress Portfolio under the page title: “Google Earth Assignment.”
You will be relying on a lot of outside information to complete this assignment. Remember that you must cite this information appropriately in your paper. Keep track of it.
Resources to Help You with This Assignment
See, for instance, Scramble for Africa – Opening the Continent
< http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Scramble_for_Africa_-_Opening_of_the_continent/id/2133280 > and the other “Scramble for Africa” links at this site.
Please follow directions and example in Blakesley (432-42).
Objectives and Learning Outcomes Addressed by This Assignment
|Course Objectives||Student Learning Outcomes|