The descriptive essay is our first essay of the year because it teaches important skills in using “show-don’t-tell” when writing. You will need this in every assignment you do!
Think about an object that is small enough to hold in your hand. Now spend five minutes considering all of the following:
- What does it look like?
- How heavy is it?
- What is it’s texture? If you ran your thumb-nail against it, what would it feel like?
- What does it smell like? (Everything has a smell–even a faint smell.)
- If you tasted it, what would it taste like?
- If you dropped it, what would it sound like? Does it make a sound?
- What are your connections to the object? How does it make you feel when you see it?
After you have a clear description of the object in a paragraph format, please post that paragraph on the WIKI.
Now, organize the essay in one of the following ways:
The paper should be at least 3 (all the way to the bottom) pages long. It can be as long as five (all the way to the bottom) pages long.
Use 12 point font and double-space the essay.
I will expect you to save a draft of the paper to Google Docs and share it with your classmates and Dr. K (allow editing). This is due Monday, February 4th. In order to do this, please post your e-mail address on the WIKI.
You must have a peer response from your classmates in order to turn in your final draft. Please go to Turn-ins on Engrade and post your paper there for a grade