- List the source in correct CMS format for sources. Sources should be double-spaced with a hanging indent. Sources should be organized in alphabetical order. Try an online bibliographic citation system if you’d like.
- Immediately following the source information, include two short paragraphs:
- 1-2 sentences that summarize the information available in the source material, and
- a second paragraph with a 1-2 sentence explanation about how you will use that source to answer your research question.
Specific Requirements for This Assignment
This annotated bibliography assignment requires a total of five sources in the following categories that will support your research:
- Two scholarly journal articles from two different fields (e.g., history, gender studies, sociology, geography, philosophy, religion, art, anthropology, to name a few).
- One encyclopedia entry.
- One scholarly book.
- One Web site.
- The annotated bibliography is the first step to writing a research paper. Think of this as the information gathering stage.
- The purpose of the preliminary research is to get an overview of the topic. The sources you consult during this step are not necessarily the ones you will use in the research for your paper.
- Your research question should be narrow enough to answer in 3-5 pages but broad enough to support five scholarly sources.
- In writing your annotations, do not repeat the source title in the description of the source or use the title as the explanation for how the source will help you answer the research question. There is an example in Blakesley (266). Although the annotation in the sample is too long for this assignment, it is a good example of how to make your description useful and informative.
Resources to Help You with This Assignment
- Interactive exercise on the Web: “How Do I Create an Annotated Bibliography?”(http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/bedfordresearcher/tutorials/Chapter04/index.html)..
- Sample prospectus on women and feminism in the Roman Empire (see bottom of “Short Prospectus with Annotated Bibliography” Assignment).