For your discussion board assignment, you will decide upon a topic for your cultural analysis paper, and post your prospectus paragraph.
Below are the steps you will take in order to identify, and write your prospectus paragraph.
PLEASE POST YOUR PARAGRAPH TO THE CORRECT CLASS DISCUSSION BOARD!!
TOPIC FOR CULTURAL ANALYSIS PAPER
The study of history is significantly important in understanding current events. In writing your cultural analysis paper, I want you to connect historical research with the modern world. In this paper, show how popular culture or a current event can be better understood by through historical research and/or identifying historical parallels.
- Identify a modern issue or current event.
- After you have some idea of the quality and quantity of research materials available, and the significant issues within that topic area, create a research question that will guide your search for information on your culture or civilization. Think of a question that is narrow enough to answer in the length allotted for your research paper.
- Write a prospectus paragraph (typically about a 1/2 page): The prospectus is the plan for your research project that you submit before actually writing the essay or completing the research. It should contain the following elements:
- State the research topic and your research question: “The word ‘tsunami’ is Japanese. It means ‘harbor wave.’ I want the role of Tsunamis in Japanese history. How have the Japanese people dealt with Tsunamis historically, and what is the cultural attitude toward Tsunamis?”
- Delineate the main areas of your proposed research: “In order to answer this question, I will look at books and articles about Tsunamis, how Japan has been affected in the past, and how the cultural attitude toward Tsunamis may influence the way in which Japan acts toward their latest Tsunami disaster.”